Regarding Registered Flight module provider

we are Drone Manufacturing company in India. we are using Pixhawk cube as a flight module that is open source hardware.my doubt is who is flight module provider.

@raviss2k19 The registered flight module in this scenario could be a Pixhawk Cube running Software that has the NPNT Compliance. The registration can be done at any stage i.e. by User, OEM(like yourself), Reseller or manufacturer. So the query who is the flight module provider is irrelevant, only that you need to have a Registered Flight Module on a Certified Drone System, and the registration can be done at any stage.

What do you mean by registration here?

Is it registration of Flight controller i.e. pixhawk?

Is it the drone as a whole registered or approved by DGCA?

Is it the RFM software running on pixhawk?

This queries are quite common and any entry level drone enthusiast is confused by it. Even after reading both DGCA and Digital Sky Guidelines, FAQs all in detail.\

@dmd4597 These questions have been taking away the peace of mind as we have to keep looking around everywhere to find out how to implement it with our open source hardwares.

What do you mean by registration here?
-> Every individual drone needs to register itself on the Digital Sky Platform. This process is specified in Section 3.2.3 of the RPAS Guidance Manual (Revision 1)

Is it registration of Flight controller i.e. pixhawk?
-> The registration is done for an individual unit of drone considering the drone-as-a-whole.

Is it the drone as a whole registered or approved by DGCA?
-> Both registration and approval are different. DGCA gives approval for a particular model of drone by giving an NPNT Certificate of Compliance. Afterwards, upon sale of drone, the particular unit of drone needs to be registered on Digital Sky. This registration, as described in the manual, needs to be done by the manufacturer (flight module provider) on behalf of the operator.

Is it the RFM software running on pixhawk?
-> I’m not sure what this question means. There is no pre-defined thing such as RFM software. Manufacturers are free to design and develop their own hardware/firmware/autopilot which would satisfy the NPNT requirements.

Thanks all for your replies.

So what I understand from the topic is that the drone manufacturer and RFM provider can be a single entity.

Also another business model can be of a RFM provider in any of the following forms:

1. Modified open source controller such as pixhawk for the said purpose as mentioned in DGCA guidelines which is purely in firmware/software form.

2. Generic piece of hardware (like I am trying on Rpi to simulate the functionality of RFM) which can be used with any of the Flight controllers which can generate logs so that it can perform functions like signing logs, providing permissions, handling key management functions

Please correct me if I am interpreting this wrong.
Also I have read the DGCA digital sky guidelines and gone through the APIs

There is a very specific paragraph in which DGCA mentions that the creator of this module has independence to conceptualize this system in any form so I guess above two ideas are quite possible

Also I would like to take your attention to the answer of question 3

Here as DGCA person am I to go at site and check the NPNT compliance (only) of the drone/will they check the airworthiness of it too?

DGCA checks if the airworthiness of the RPAS too. Check out Chapter 6. It details the aspects of the RPAS that DGCA checks for

Hello, Our company is based in Pune. We are looking for the Freelancer who can help us in modifying firmware for NPNT compliances with Pixhawk. Please contact me on [email protected] for further details.

Any comments on this interpretation??

In which email id , we have to send all related document for DGCA approval ?
kindly suggest

Yes, indeed. Looks very much possible. Though I think the manufacturer/assembler of the complete drone will technically still be the RFM provider from the perspective of the DGCA and the entity providing the NPNT module will be referred to as an OEM.

Hi @dmd4597 and @abhiroop.bhatnagar

Changing pixhawk firmware is complex for me. But i don’t want to put any hardware(rpi) onto my drone. So is there any method with which i can do this on my GCS side. Or any other idea you have, please do share with me.
Thanks

The RFM functionality needs to reside on the drone as per the RPAS guidance manual.

so it means there are these two ways as described by @dmd4597

1. Modified open source controller such as pixhawk for the said purpose as mentioned in DGCA guidelines which is purely in firmware/software form.
  2. Generic piece of hardware (like I am trying on Rpi to simulate the functionality of RFM) which can be used with any of the Flight controllers which can generate logs so that it can perform functions like signing logs, providing permissions, handling key management functions

Hello, can someone guide me on how to implement secure boot and secure firmware upgrade.
Also are there any well documented boards which provide this functionality?

Hi @kau95 this might help you with secure boot
http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/how-to-use-the-auth-command-to-sign-a-pixhawk-board-with-your-certificate-of-authenticity.html

Thanks for the reference @Vardhan.
Also where can I find auth.c?

first create a folder in ‘Firmware/src/systemcmds/’ directory named auth. You have to generate auth.c here. Here is a point in docs that describes it
‘typically made and uploaded with “make px4fmu-v1_auth upload”, or similar’.
And this for PX4 firmware not for ardupilot I guess